Production & Events Coordinator
Do you have the desire to make an impact and be part of an exceptional team? Does a career with two of the world’s pre-eminent concert venues interest you? Then read on!
The Corporation of Massey Hall & Roy Thomson Hall, a charitable non-profit organization, owns and operates two of Canada’s most iconic concert halls. Massey Hall has just completed the most extensive renovation in its history with a rejuvenated auditorium, enhanced amenities for artists and patrons, and will soon realize the addition of new performance venues as part of Allied Music Centre. Roy Thomson Hall serves as the home to the Toronto Symphony Orchestra, welcomes the Toronto International Film Festival’s red carpet gala premieres, and plays host to a dynamic array of cultural events throughout the year. The Corporation is actively engaged in Artist Development and Education & Community Outreach initiatives as an investment in the next generation of artists and audiences.
Reporting to the Production Manager and a dotted line to the Events Manager the Production & Events Coordinatorserves as an integral member of the Production and Events departments. The Production Coordinator is actively involved in planning and executing events in all areas of Massey Hall and Roy Thomson Hall, with a focus on new smaller venues such as TD Music Hall and a new Theatre on the 6th floor of Massey Hall, lobbies and patios. This is an exciting and challenging role that requires a reasonable combination of technical and event production skills. The ideal candidate brings experience in event and concert production with a background in a technical discipline or event planning/management. Having previously contributed to exceptional experiences and shows, you are looking to grow and to be a part of launching and establishing a series of exciting new venues.
Who You Are
You are a self-starter with a passion for live music and live events who is interested in a challenge and contributing to building something new. You like variety and are comfortable working with a very diverse roster of concerts and events in world class venues. You’re a team player, who enjoys working with a collaborative, open and constructive team with varying backgrounds. Perhaps you’ve spent time on the road, or have worked for another venue, AV company, event producer or similar and you’re looking to change direction. If this is you, then we would love to talk to you.
As a member of the Production and Events teams you will support both departments as the advance and day of Coordinator for events and concerts with a focus on smaller capacity venues such as the TD Music Hall, a yet to be opened 100 seat theatre, the Muskoka Spirt Lounge, Roy Thomson Hall patio and various lobbies and other spaces at Massey Hall and Roy Thomson Hall.
- Provide production and event department support for certain large Hall events at Roy Thomson Hall and Massey Hall as assigned.
- Interpret technical and personal riders and prepare cost estimates for internal and external clients.
- Create schedules and crew calls in consultation with the venues IATSE Steward.
- Create Event and Production notes in a timely fashion to be released to relevant internal departments.
- Attend weekly Calendar and Rider meetings to discuss upcoming events and overall logistics.
- In collaboration with other departments, liaise with clients on all production and event matters related to their events.
- Book and Schedule runners and ground transportation when required for house productions.
- Work with internal departments to arrange for artist hospitality, security, front of house and box office requirements.
- Act as resource and venue expert for internal and external clients, attend and conduct site tours as required.
- Provides guidance to resolve disputes and exercises sound judgement around issue escalate as necessary.
- Provide technical or event logistic advice to internal departments on production and event related matters.
- Schedules and rent production equipment and event related supplies from external suppliers to meet event requirements.
- Takes ownership of event settlements and provides timely accurate data to client and internal finance department.
- Communicate corporate, health and safety and human resources policies and ensure compliance by staff and clients/promoters
- Occasionally supervise overnight seating conversions at Massey Hall.
Qualifications & Required Experiences
- 3-5 years of experience in concert production, event management or tour management with financial accountability.
- You have some experience with or are eager to learn how to Interpret and ensure adherence to collective agreements.
- You have some experience with or are eager to learn how to settle an event financially.
- Previous experience in a unionized environment and ability to interpret collective agreements considered an asset.
- Previous touring or experience working with artists directly considered and asset.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Excellent communication, negotiating and decision-making skills.
- Ability to multi-task and work under pressure.
- Available to work overnight and weekends as required.
- Good knowledge of MS Office and related products.
- Work regular work schedule but available for some evening, weekend hours and holidays, as required
- Manual dexterity required to operate computer and peripherals
- Interacts with employees and management and the public
- Competing priorities with medium-high control over individual priorities
- Moderate-high levels of considerable mental concentration
- Sitting for longer periods as well as standing and walking
- The incumbent's time is divided between normal office and building environment conditions with minimal risks or disruptions
- Occasional exposure to elements such as noise, dust, chemicals, operating machinery, temperature extremes, etc.
As an equitable employer, The Corporation of Massey Hall and Roy Thomson Hall is committed to providing a safe and inclusive environment where a diverse workforce thrives. Applicants requiring accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process should contact Human Resources. The Corporation is committed to providing employment accommodations in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position. Please note that only applicants granted an interview will be acknowledged. No phone calls please.