Do you have the desire to make an impact and be part of an exceptional team? Does a career with two of the world’s pre-eminent concert venues interest you? Then read on!
The Corporation of Massey Hall & Roy Thomson Hall, a charitable non-profit organization, owns and operates two of Canada’s most iconic concert halls. Massey Hall is nearing completion of the most extensive renovation in its history with a rejuvenated auditorium, enhanced amenities for artists and patrons, and will soon realize the addition of new performance venues as part of Allied Music Centre. Roy Thomson Hall serves as the home to the Toronto Symphony Orchestra, welcomes the Toronto International Film Festival’s red carpet gala premieres, and plays host to a dynamic array of cultural events throughout the year. The Corporation is actively engaged in Artist Development and Education & Community Outreach initiatives as an investment in the next generation of artists and audiences.
Reporting to and working in collaboration with the VP, Finance, the Director, Finance is a trusted business advisor and partner to the organization, providing valuable and timely insights to drive decision making that improves long-term financial performance of the organization. Undertaking all aspects of financial management, including corporate accounting, regulatory and financial reporting, budget and forecasts preparation, as well as development of internal control policies and procedures, the Director, Finance will lead a team of finance & accounting professionals to become a key resource to the organization with a laser-focus on optimizing operational excellence and performance. Inspired by the strategic plan, the Director, Finance will also work on innovative projects and initiatives aimed at strengthening internal reporting, improving processes, and identifying areas for continuous improvement, while partnering with the Corporation’s senior management team in further improving business and financial analysis.
Financial Planning & Analysis:
- Be a trusted business advisor, providing financial expertise and analysis to evaluate business opportunities and risks.
- Lead financial planning and analysis, including forecasting, budgeting and reporting.
- Determine key performance indicators, develop dashboards and deliver enhanced reporting for senior management on various areas performance.
- Proactively identify opportunities to improve financial performance and efficiency, including cost reduction initiatives and process improvements.
- Support senior management in preparation of presentations for operational reviews, board and committee meetings.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders across the organization, providing financial guidance and insights to drive strategic decision making.
- Collaborate with other functional areas of the business to drive cross-functional initiatives and ensure alignment with strategic priorities.
Accounting & Controllership:
- Plan, direct and coordinate all accounting operational functions.
- Manage the accumulation and consolidation of all financial data necessary for an accurate accounting of consolidated business results.
- Handle monthly and annual close of income statement and balance sheet, account reconciliations & G/L analysis.
- Coordinate and prepare internal and external financial statements.
- Coordinate activities with external auditors.
- Assess current accounting operations, offer recommendations for improvement, and implement new processes.
- Evaluate accounting and internal control systems.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of accounting software and supporting database, as needed.
- Provide leadership and mentorship to a team of finance and payroll professionals, ensuring their growth and development.
- Hire, train, and retain skilled accounting, finance & office administration staff.
- Partner with VP, Finance and MH-RTH Management Team on innovative programs and projects.
- 10+ years of professional experience in financial analysis and reporting, with minimum 5 years in a leadership role
- Direct experience in live music or related field is considered a strong asset
- Financial expertise in charitable non-profit organizations is desirable
- Undergraduate degree, preferably in Accounting, Finance, Commerce, Economics or Business Administration and supplemented with a professional designation (CPA, MBA, CFA)
- Strong analytical, financial, and accounting skills, as well as an ability to use analysis to drive improvements in business performance
- Self-starter, ability to learn quickly, ability to adapt to change
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and guidance
- Ability to communicate effectively with people at all levels within and outside of the organization, both orally and in writing
- Experience with Financial Systems such as Great Plains is required
- Advanced Excel Skills (VLOOKUP, Pivots, Syntax, Logical Formulas)
- Experience in Live Music & Entertainment, Media or Arts and Culture organizations is an asset
- You must be legally eligible to work in Canada
- You must successfully pass a Criminal Check
As an equitable employer, The Corporation of Massey Hall and Roy Thomson Hall is committed to providing a safe and inclusive environment where a diverse workforce thrives. Applicants requiring accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process should contact Human Resources. The Corporation is committed to providing employment accommodations in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position. Please note that only applicants granted an interview will be acknowledged. No phone calls please.