Manager, Building Operations
Do you have the desire to make an impact and be part of an exceptional team? Does a career with two of the world’s pre-eminent concert venues interest you? Then read on!
The Corporation of Massey Hall & Roy Thomson Hall, a charitable non-profit organization, owns and operates two of Canada’s most iconic concert halls. Massey Hall is currently undergoing the most extensive renovation in its 126 year history and is scheduled to reopen in late-2021 with a rejuvenated auditorium, enhanced amenities for artists and patrons, and the addition of new performance venues. Roy Thomson Hall serves as the home to the Toronto Symphony Orchestra, welcomes the Toronto International Film Festival’s red carpet gala premieres, and plays host to a dynamic array of cultural events throughout the year. The Corporation is actively engaged in presenting performances in external venues and is rapidly expanding its Artist Development and Education & Outreach initiatives as an investment in the next generation of artists and audiences.
Summary<br/ > The Manager of Building Operations will be responsible for the day to day planning, implementation, management and review of all building operations and personnel at one of our two performance and event venues . Working in collaboration with an incumbent Manager of Building Operations and under the Director, the Manager will ensure compliance with all federal, provincial and municipal legislation relevant to facility operation. In addition, the Manager will ensure the Building Operations department adheres to all legal and safety requirements on a continuous basis for the efficient and effective operating of public performance venues.
- Performs all duties at either or both venues as required and in collaboration with an incumbent Manager of Building Operations and under the leadership of the department Director
- Plans, manages and oversee the budget for building operations at two performance venues
- Interact with management, other employees and the public to ensure effective and efficient operation of the buildings
- Coordinates and communicates all departmental initiatives
- Recommends and oversees, all; recruitment, selection, training, evaluation and management all on-site building operations personnel
- Conducts regular performance reviews, preventative maintenance programs and building inspections to maintain the Corporation standards and expectations of building readiness
- Attends Operational team meetings and communicates back to Building Operations team when required
- Negotiates contracts and service agreements for third party suppliers or service providers
- Ensures building facilities are compliant with health and safety regulations including local fire codes, accessibility and other relevant building and maintenance legislation
- Communicates and promotes health and safety policies within the department, in accordance with all provincial and municipal health and safety requirements
- Oversees the adherence of the Corporation's mission, values and objectives
- Assesses operational, schedule and training issues relating to building operations and maintenance personnel
- Carries out feasibility studies for service improvement, customizing, re-modeling and new service development
- Demonstrates knowledge of, and promote, industry standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and code of ethics
- Schedules equipment operating standards consistent with event schedule as well as the daily general operations
- Provides on-site direction at either venue as required, resolving or escalating problems as they arise
- Ten (10) years of experience in Building Operations and Maintenance in a Management role
- Strong knowledge of Ontario Fire Code, Building Code, Industrial/Construction standards, Occupational Health & Safety Act, preferably in a public building or venue
- Knowledge of Building Automation systems and controls
- Strong leadership skills
- Computer proficiency in Word, Excel and Outlook
The Corporation of Massey Hall and Roy Thomson Hall values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants requiring accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process should contact the Human Resources Department. The Corporation is committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position. Please note that only applicants granted an interview will be acknowledged. No phone calls please.