DIGITAL PRODUCTION MANAGER
Do you have the desire to make an impact and be part of an exceptional team? Does a career with two of the world’s pre-eminent concert venues interest you? Then read on!
The Corporation of Massey Hall & Roy Thomson Hall, a charitable non-profit organization, owns and operates two of Canada’s most iconic concert halls. Massey Hall is currently undergoing the most extensive renovation in its 126 year history and is scheduled to reopen in late-2021 with a rejuvenated auditorium, enhanced amenities for artists and patrons, and the addition of new performance venues. Roy Thomson Hall serves as the home to the Toronto Symphony Orchestra, welcomes the Toronto International Film Festival’s red carpet gala premieres, and plays host to a dynamic array of cultural events throughout the year. The Corporation is actively engaged in presenting performances in external venues and is rapidly expanding its Artist Development and Education & Outreach initiatives as an investment in the next generation of artists and audiences.
Reporting to the Vice President, Production we are looking for someone to help us enter a new phase of digital audio and video recording atboth of our halls. If you are looking to leave your mark and help build something new and exciting the Digital Production Manager role might be the place for you. We are looking for a forward thinking, creative technically minded individual to help us get our extensive new digital recording facilities at Massey Hall off the ground and to help grow existing facilities at Roy Thomson Hall.
The Corporation has continued to invest heavily in broadcast and recording infrastructure at both of our venues. With the initial installation of a pilot project 2 years ago at Roy Thomson Hall, which has become an essential resource during COVID-19. Massey Hall’s plans are far more extensive than what is currently in place at Roy Thomson Hall. With a dedicated audio and video capture suite on the 5th floor connected to all 4 venues throughout the facility, and a full audio recording studio similarly connected on the 7th floor.
- Manage day-to-day Digital Production activity for both Massey Hall and Roy Thomson Hall content capture and audio recording facilities
- Interface with internal and external stakeholders to integrate Massey Hall and Roy Thomson Hall in-house facilities into events
- Act as day of contact and advance contact for recording events at both halls
- Work with internal show Production managers and Coordinators to ensure compliance with show schedules and collective agreements
- Work with VP of Production on capital improvements to recording facilities and suggest improvements as applicable
- Maintain maintenance budget, and proactively schedule repairs, replacements, software, firmware updates as needed
- Track and analyze industry best practices and trends and recommend changes to practices especially as it pertains to related emerging technology
- Maintain roster and relationships with freelance directors, AD’s camera callers, editors, colorists, recording engineers and producers
- Arrange for outside training on specific pieces of equipment for IASTE local 58 staff
- Schedule, supervise IATSE local 58 stagehands as required
- Create cost estimates, track expenses and complete settlements for recordings
- Advance recording requirements and interface any outside equipment, mobile video or audio trucks with in house infrastructure and equipment
- Arrange for outgoing and incoming broadcast connections, IT lines and phone lines as required for events
- Maintain, backup, archive and keep safe corporate and client data and Intellectual Property
- Extensive knowledge of digital video and audio production workflows in a live recording and video broadcast environment
- Deep technical knowledge and background in either, but preferably both audio and video production
- Deep understanding of Networking protocols including but not limited to Dante, AVB
- Knowledge of Ross Video Systems, Solid State Logic, Neve, Black Magic Video, AJA, AVID S6L, Apple Computers, Pro Tools, logic, Reidel Com
- Knowledge of Dolby ATOMS, 7.1, 5.1 and immersive audio protocols
- Knowledge and experience with streaming technology and protocols for both audio and video
- Previous experience in a unionized environment, specifically IATSE local 58 and local 822 considered an asset but not a requirement
- Formal education in audio engineering, video production or related field considered an asset but not a requirement
- 5 – 7 years of experience in and audio or video broadcast or recording environment
- Work a flexible schedule: day, evening, weekend hours and holidays, as required
- Manual dexterity required to operate computers and peripherals
- Interacts with employees and management
- Competing priorities with medium-high control over individual priorities
- Moderate-high levels of considerable mental concentration
- Ability to lift equipment up to 40 lb.
- Sitting, standing and walking
The Corporation of Massey Hall and Roy Thomson Hall values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants requiring accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process should contact the Human Resources Department. The Corporation is committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position. Please note that only applicants granted an interview will be acknowledged. No phone calls please.