Do you have the desire to make an impact and be part of an exceptional team? Does a career with two of the world’s pre-eminent concert venues interest you? Then read on!
The Corporation of Massey Hall & Roy Thomson Hall, a charitable non-profit organization, owns and operates two of Canada’s most iconic concert halls. Massey Hall is currently undergoing the most extensive renovation in its 126 year history and is scheduled to reopen in late-2021 with a rejuvenated auditorium, enhanced amenities for artists and patrons, and the addition of new performance venues. Roy Thomson Hall serves as the home to the Toronto Symphony Orchestra, welcomes the Toronto International Film Festival’s red carpet gala premieres, and plays host to a dynamic array of cultural events throughout the year. The Corporation is actively engaged in presenting performances in external venues and is rapidly expanding its Artist Development and Education & Outreach initiatives as an investment in the next generation of artists and audiences.
Reporting to the Building Operations Manager, the Building Operator is responsible for operating and maintaining the building and its systems, to provide a comfortable, safe, and clean environment for staff, tenants, and patrons. The Building Operator is to be trained to work shifts in both the Corporation’s venues, Massey Hall, and Roy Thomson Hall, as required.
- Perform preventative maintenance on HVAC, plumbing, mechanical and life safety systems to ensure that highest standards are met
- Respond to and complete service calls such as changing lights, heating/cooling calls etc. in a timely and professional manner
- Replacement of plumbing fixtures such as sinks and toilets. Repairs of faucets, flush valves, water supply lines and waste lines. Unclogging drains and toilets
- Routine (daily, weekly, monthly, and annual) inspections and testing of various equipment and systems such as emergency power and life safety systems
- Operation and monitoring of Building Automation System
- Assist Building Management in diagnosing technical issues and suggest corrective action
- Assist and oversee contractors when they are working in the building ensuring they abide to building guidelines
- Maintain daily shift logbook
- Maintenance/cleaning of reflective pool at Roy Thomson Hall and its pumping/filtration system
- Repairs to doors/door hardware, furniture, cabinets, towel/tissue dispensers and washroom cubicles.
- Lighting maintenance-changing lamps and ballasts
- Minor maintenance tasks such as keeping mechanical/electrical rooms tidy, sweeping and mopping
- Removing snow and ice from entrances and sidewalks when required
- Completing deliveries and moving of furniture, programs, boxes, Food and Beverage supplies, archive boxes etc.
- Working with cleaning and security staff when required and providing relief for the security office when required. Accompany security guard at end of day lock-up
- Changing posters
- Arranging pre-show and after show set-ups
- Participation in annual First Aid/CPR training
- Participation in all other safety training, such as fire drills/evacuations, fall arrest training and WHMIS training
- Knowledge of the Fire Plan and procedures and Lobby fire guidelines to ensure compliance by staff, tenants, patrons, promoters, clients, exhibiters, and contractors
- Knowledge of the Emergency Preparedness Plan and the Building Operator’s role
- Building Environmental Systems Certificate class 1
- Minimum of two years’ experience
- Excellent communication skills-Both written and oral
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to multi-task, as well as prioritize job
- Ability to work shifts including evenings and weekends and occasional overnights
- Knowledge of Building Automation Systems, preferably Honeywell and Siemens Systems
The Corporation of Massey Hall and Roy Thomson Hall values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants requiring accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process should contact the Human Resources Department. The Corporation is committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position. Please note that only applicants granted an interview will be acknowledged. No phone calls please.